Thursday, January 15, 2009

Better Get Used To It.

I learned today that one of my favourite, albeit troublesome, patients that I had met twice during my four days of ride-alongs had passed away. Not long after we had had last taken him to the hospital. I know I've only been on the ambulance four times, but I met some interesting and troubled people. It was hard not to become attached to them in some way. This was the first time I had heard such a grim follow-up for one of "my" patients.

He was what you would call a "frequent flyer". One of those people that seems to call 911 simply because they're bored or lonely or just need some interaction. However, these people also call when they think they need help. Even if it is every day, like this particular patient. It sounds annoying and unnecessary, like a waste of everyone's time. That's exactly how most people see it at first. My instructor, though, once told us something that made me rethink the whole notion of a "frequent flyer". He reminded us all that no matter how unimportant some calls may sound, no matter that they had no medical problems at all, they called 911 because they believed they needed help. In their minds they genuinely thought that they were sick or injured. They're worried about themselves, and calling 911 is the right thing to do in that case. No matter how small the problem. It's hard to keep that in mind sometimes. I believe this is exactly what he was doing. I can't say I knew him all too well, but I got the feeling that sometimes people just weren't taking him seriously. Maybe it was something of a "boy who cried wolf" scenario, maybe he brought it on himself. I guess we'll never know what his intentions were.

The way the paramedics and hospital staff talked about him, you knew they considered him more of a hassle than anything else. But they all knew him. They all talked about him, laughed about him. I could always pick up on a small hint of affection when they did. They'll always remember him, that's for sure. He wasn't a bad person. He'll be missed.

-AM

pale blue colored iris

1 comment: