Saturday, May 9, 2009

Reverse Order.

I sort of noticed an interesting little trend recently.

A friend and I were having a discussion about how our parents are getting into newer technology, but how we are getting into older things. For example, our parents are learning how to use their Ipods, whereas we are huddled around record players. We'd laugh at our parents as they can't seem to figure out the buttons, and wonder why the music won't start when they push "play", but then at the same time I sit staring at my record player wondering why it won't spin. Working with older technology will certainly take you down a notch. Not so smart now, huh?

I love going to the theater, it's one of my favourite things to do. I just being there, I love the atmosphere and I love seeing a new movie. Lately though, My parents will ask if I've been to the theater to see the latest movies, and I haven't, because I've been staying in watching movies from the 40s and 50s. They're better than a lot of what's out now, I can tell you. Sunset Boulevard, Casablanca, Vertigo... it's the dialogue that I love. There's a reason these are considered classics. There isn't a single line in one of those movies that doesn't have to be there. Every line is essential to the feel and story. They knew how to write a movie back then.

So if you can find a cheap record player, buy it. Best Buy sells records now, there's a reason for that, too. And the next time you find yourself wandering around Blockbuster for hours trying to make up your mind, try searching out some of those movies that you've heard about, but always thought were "too old to be good". That was my problem, but I learned a lesson and discovered some new favourites. Give them a chance.

-AM

we all shine on

1 comment:

Jules said...

Love this post Adam!
Totally true...