Sunday, April 26, 2009

Help!

Some people wonder how we can show sympathy for certain patients who may have caused their own problems. The ones that have "brought it on themselves".

I often wondered this same thing, and I was worried that I might not be able to treat all patients the same way. Sometimes it is hard, I won't lie. I met a patient who was hooked up to every machine imaginable. Tubes down his throat, several IV lines in each arm, machines basically doing all of the work. It was hard to watch him lay there struggling to live. I wondered how someone could end up this way, and how unfair it seemed. The nurse told me that he had smoked at least a pack of cigarettes a day for almost 40 years. I stopped wondering, and any questions of fairness vanished. It was hard not to keep that in mind as we were with him, but we didn't change the way we treated him.

I'm no longer worried about how I'll treat patients. I've proven to myself that I can look past their downfalls. It could be because I'm new to this, and I get too nervous to think about anything other than what I'm supposed to be doing, but I have a feeling that I won't change. I'll make a conscious effort not to. It's not our job to treat based on lifestyle preferences, no matter how much they have been to blame for someone's current condition. That night, especially, I learned that when I'm standing next to a patient on a hospital bed, the only thing on my mind is that I want to help.

-AM

i need somebody, not just anybody

No comments: